For appropriate clinical conditions, ultrasound offers clear safety and economic advantages over radiographic exams, and yet evidence suggests that ultrasound is underutilized. Many clinicians are unaware of the range of conditions for which ultrasound first is an established guideline, and the gap only grows larger as research extends ultrasound’s diagnostic value.
What is Ultrasound First?
Ultrasound First is an endeavor devoted to education and increasing awareness of the effectiveness of ultrasound in enhancing patient care.
- Raise awareness of the value and benefits of ultrasound among patients, health care providers, and insurers
- Provide ultrasound education and evidence-based guidelines for health care providers
- Educate insurers about the cost savings and patient benefits associated with performing an ultrasound study when scientific evidence supports its potential effectiveness compared to other imaging modalities
- Educate patients about the benefits of ultrasound as the appropriate imaging modality for their care
- Encourage the incorporation of ultrasound into medical education
For more information about this initiative visit: www.ultrasoundfirst.org